Pages and Files
Discuss Issues & Reforms
Urgent News Log
Amendment for Peace
The Smedley Butler Amendment
Amendment for Peace
We propose an amendment for Peace to the Constitution of the United States:
1. The removal of members of land armed forces from the continental limits of the United States and its territories for any reason whatsoever, other than an errand of mercy, is prohibited.
2. The vessels of the United States military are hereby prohibited from traveling more than 500 miles from our coast for any reason whatsoever, other than an errand of mercy. Within the set 500 mile limit, they are only to act in defense against an imminent threat to the United States and its territories or in a humanitarian capacity.
3. Aircraft of the United States military, manned or unmanned, are hereby prohibited from flying for any reason whatsoever other than an errand of mercy, more than 750 miles beyond the territorial limits of the United States. Within the set seven hundred and fifty mile limit, they are only to act in defense against an imminent threat to the United States and its territories, or in a humanitarian capacity.
4. Corporations and companies with U.S interests are hereby prohibited from selling weapons and military technology to anyone other than U.S citizens and the U.S military.
5. We hereby acknowledge accountability for, and a responsibility in aiding the people who have been negatively impacted by military or other aggressive actions we have led, aided or supported in any way.
6. An errand of mercy is limited to aiding in ending genocide and helping in the aftermath of large-scale natural or manmade disasters. All other reasons would be product of the United States trying to impose its own will around the world. Conditions meeting this criteria require a response of unconditional aid, without occupation.
Such an amendment would be an absolute guarantee to the people of America that their loved ones would never be needlessly killed or wounded, either physically or mentally, in for-profit wars and conflicts that are of no concern to the American people.
Such an amendment would also be an absolute guarantee to the people of the world that they would no longer be susceptible to becoming casualties of American wars waged in the interest of corporations.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"